Friday, May 16, 2008

Catching up...

I haven't blogged for a little while...just been busy and honestly don't feel like I've had that much to say. But, I'll give a little update on life anyways...
April was a fun month, but still way too cold in Utah. I wait for the snow to melt more than I think I've ever anticipated Christmas or my birthday. I HATE snow. It's pretty for about a day and then you have to drive in it and it's just stupid. With that said, spring break was spent at Zions with my family to get away from the stinkin' arctic tundra that is Northern Utah. It was gorgeous and so liberating to be able to wear shorts and a t-shirt, swim outside, and sprint the Temple of Sinewava trail with my brother Kyle. All-in-all, a fabulous trip.
After spring break, going back to school has been interesting...my students have zero desire to be here, (and a lot of the time I do, too!) Keeping them focused and entertained is harder than taming a wild bull, but it's been great hearing all the excuses why they can't do their homework. One of my favorite excuses is that they didn't grab their A-day or B-day backpack. Since when did you need two backpacks to go to school? It's called a locker people. The school's covered with them...Use it.
I've also started swimming pretty consistently again and am really proud of how I've done so far. I feel like a total 'has-been' a lot of the time, but I'm only a few seconds off my college in-season times even being older and fatter! Yea! I've re-realized that I am NOT a freestyler, (when your 50 fly is a 25.1 and your 50 free is a 24.8 something's wrong), but seeing as fly is the most beautiful stroke in swimming, I'm all set. I started a marathon training program as well, but have been sidelined because of stress-fractures in my shins...I think swimming all those years kinda did me a disservice in developing my bone density. Calcium-HERE I COME! But hopefully soon, I'll be able to get my butt back on the road to train.
My job gives me a lot of time to read. I love it! I've probably read about 25 books since January, some I've loved and others i just got through, but here's a list of my top 10.

1) The Book of Mormon (I did a cover to cover read in 3 weeks-it was awesome!)
2) The Alchemist-Paulo Coelho
3) The Twilight Series (they only count as one book)-Stephanie Meyer
4) A Wrinkle in Time- Madeline L'Engle
5) Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln- Doris Kearns Goodwin
6) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- J.K. Rowling
7) A History of Joseph Smith by His Mother- Lucy Mack Smith
8) The Illiad- Homer
9) The Lord of the Rings- J.R.R. Tolkien
10) Mere Christianity- C.S. Lewis

Just a few goodies. Read them, Love them.
Finishing up. I'm looking for coaching jobs around the country and have had a few interviews, but no takers yet. I start my Masters degree in June in Secondary Education and am looking forward to being a student again. (Weird?) I'm also looking to possibly move out of Utah, most likely to California or Arizona, but we'll see how things work out. Life is good and I'll post again soon!

1 comment:

Zach said...

Yay! So glad to see your back at blogging! I miss you! You are so great!