Friday, September 11, 2009

Student Council Relapse


On Wednesday and Thursday this week, I got to chaperone the AFJH Student Council on their retreat up AF Canyon. It was SO fun! These kids were super cool and really fun to be around. We stayed up at the Mutual Dell lodge playing games, cooking great food, watching movies, talking, laughing, and learning about leadership. It reminded me so much of my Senior year of high school on Student Council. I was sooooo busy that year, but it ended up being one of the greatest years of my life! Being in student government is really empowering. You put on that Council sweater/t-shirt and you feel like the queen of the school. I think for me, being on student council made more of a difference in my life than me doing anything for anyone else. I learned how to balance school, swimming, music, family, friends and my council responsibilities. I made a ton of great friends, knew everyone in my graduating class, and learned how to be an adult in a lot of cases. I'm so stoked for these kids to have those experiences.
Thursday, after NO sleep for me (giggling girls don't do much for my sleep routine), we hit up CLAS ropes course for a day of challenge course activities. It was cool to see the kids working together to accomplish a goal that doing alone seems impossible. I even got to do a couple of the activities myself, such as climbing and 30 ft tree and jumping off a platform for a ring hanging 6 feet away, a giant swing and a wheel roll. Pretty sweet.
We finished the day canoeing on the Provo River. Mr. Wright (the supervising teacher) and I totally flipped our canoe on accident after telling the kids how tippy and unsafe the canoes can be. Great examples, huh? FREEZING cold water, but we still had a great time.
I'm glad I had the chance to hang out with such great kids and have a fun time. I even got a date out of the mix, one of the CLAS guys asked me out! Funny! Good times.

No comments: